Thursday, June 3, 2010

Scam

So I got this weird voice mail the other day. In it, I was told (by a computer) that "We're interested in your resume and would like to set up an interview with you this week. Please call us back between the hours of 8-5 to schedule your interview." First thought that went through my head is "You're so interested in my resume that you couldn't pick up the phone and call me yourself?" The next thought was "I bet this is a scam." Seriously, what legitimate company trying to hire a PhD would have a computer call the person and NOT identify what company they were calling from? I'm pretty sure that even if there is an HR department somewhere that is using computers to call and set up interviews, that HR department would at the very least identify which company they were calling from.

HOWEVER, because I didn't know which company the message was from, I called them back the next day. I got a generic voice mailbox stating "The person you are trying to reach is out of the office. Please leave your name and number." That confirmed it for me. This call was totally a scam. I almost wanted to leave a fake name and number....

No comments: