Saturday, June 12, 2010

Why would I give you my resume?

Before attending the job fair the other day, I did my homework. I identified all of the companies who I thought would be interested in me and all those with posted positions that would suit someone with my skills. While researching the posted positions, I discovered a position at a company I had never heard of that I thought I suited perfectly, I certainly have a great deal of experience in all the skills they were looking for. Only glitch- they were looking for someone who had done a post-doc for 5-7 years. However, the position had been posted in December, so clearly they were having a hard time filling it. I decided to stop by that company's booth and ask if the post-doc requirement was hard and fast or if they would consider someone with the right skills but no post-doc. Turned out the representative at the booth was the owner of the company. Said owner has a MAJOR chip on his shoulder against people who haven't done a post-doc. He flat out told me that "I paid my dues and I expect every scientist that I hire to have paid theirs." Fine. It's his company and he can use any criteria he wants for hiring. I thanked him for his time (hey, at least I know not to bother applying to his company!) and started to walk away. As I started leaving he asked me for a resume. I looked at him and said "What would be the point? You just told me that you wouldn't even consider hiring me." Seriously, what would be the point of giving him a resume?

No comments: