Monday, May 24, 2010

What is wrong here?

Once I defended my thesis, I posted updated resumes on all the job posting sites. I received several calls immediately. The first 3 calls were from biotech companies who wanted me to come for an interview- until they found out that my degree wouldn't be official until December. While I could furnish a letter saying that I had completed all graduation requirements for a degree to be issued in December, that wasn't good enough for these 3 companies. No, for insurance reasons, I HAD to have my degree prior to them interviewing me. The promised to keep me in mind if they didn't fill the job. I haven't heard from them since (although I called all 3 the Monday after my degree was issued).

I've also had several calls from IBM, both before I was issued my degree and since. I know I said that I wasn't going to use real names, but after 5 calls from IBM or IBM recruiters, I think that their lack of database searching skills deserves to be made public! Apparently, IBM can't weed out people that work with biological viruses from those that work with computer viruses. After the 5th such call, I offered to show them how to exclude biological viruses from their database searches if they would hire me as a consultant. For some reason, they just weren't interested.

Another job search surprise has been the sheer volume of contacts from financial and insurance companies that my resume has generated. I actually chatted with one of the recruiters, who seemed like a really down to earth guy. I finally had to ask, "Why my resume? What about my resume piqued your interest?" The answer- "Well, completing a PhD shows determination and perseverance. Your integrative degree also shows that you can work with diverse types of people. So we think we could teach you, or send you for classes, in what you need to know to work in our field." Then he sheepishly added "Well, the people trained in finance have mucked up the system so badly that we thought we'd try people who aren't trained in finance." Um, hello? So the people who KNEW what to do mucked things up, so you thought you'd try people who had no clue (but basic math skills), to fix things? What is wrong here?

No comments: