Friday, April 8, 2011

Landlord

Ah, yes, my landlord. First off, I pretty much decided to rent this apartment because it was the only apartment the relocation expert found that would take Darwin. Then I got down here and discovered that the relocation expert is my landlord's sister. I would have no problem with the relocation expert throwing business to her sister if my landlord wasn't such a fruitcake. Seriously. First, how could she not know that my apartment wasn't ready? Either she's a space cadet or a really poor businesswoman. Second, when I moved into the apartment, the heat did not work because the fan did not work. I called my landlord each and every day asking when it would be fixed. After 2 weeks of this, I sent her an email saying I wasn't paying rent until she had the heat fixed. I then received a pissy email about how she couldn't let anyone into my apartment to fix the heat because of my dog (before signing the lease, I stressed that I was not going to be responsible for my dog biting someone if they entered the apartment without me being there). So I informed her (by voicemail and email) that I had meetings Monday afternoon, but could rearrange my work schedule the rest of the week to accommodate a repairman IF I had 2 days notice. She then left me a voice mail saying she'd schedule the repair for Monday morning. I then stressed (voicemail and email again), that I had to leave my apartment by 12:45 to attend my meetings and that I would like to know what time the repairman was coming. I repeated the voicemail/email combo again on Saturday, Sunday and Monday morning. I actually woke her up Monday morning because I called at 7:30AM. She still had no idea what time the repairman was coming as he hadn't even confirmed that he was coming with her. I informed her that I was going to work and that she should call me when she knew what time the repairman was arriving. I stressed once again that I had meetings that I HAD to attend that afternoon. Therefore, I was a little irate when she called me at 12:30 and said the repairman would be there in 10 minutes. Ummm....he could be there, but I couldn't meet him. She actually demanded that I cancel my meetings! However, when I informed her that if I canceled my meetings, I'd better cancel my lease because there was no reason for me to stay in MS without a job, she miraculously rescheduled the repairman to after my meetings. At this point, I was getting the definite impression that the only way to get through to this woman is by threatening to withhold rent or cancel the lease. While my heating was being repaired, the repairman noticed that I did not have any sort of filter on the air intake. He told my landlord, who decided that she'd drop one off. Luckily she called me first to make sure that Darwin was confined. Confined? He isn't a puppy and his house manners have been impeccable since he was 10 weeks old. She was shocked that I let my dog "roam free" in my absence. Seriously? what does she think he does in the apartment? In any case, she was then pissy because I told her to leave the filter in the door. What part of the "you will not enter the apartment unless I am present" does she not understand?

Oh, and the kicker to all this? Crazy landlord lady wanted me to talk DH into using HER as our real estate agent when we bought a home. Yeah, like that would ever happen. All I have to say is that I'm warning all new hires here away from renting from this crazy lady. And the relocation expert? Yeah, I've been refusing her calls because I don't think I could say anything nice.

No comments: